Safety Instrumented Systems with FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland)
Engineering Safety Consultants Ltd. is an approved course provider for Safety Instrumented Systems training of the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Training Program.
Why attend the course?
There is an increasing dependence on Safety Instrumented Systems to achieve tolerable risk levels in the process sector. In addition there is an increasing need to justify that the risk levels that have been achieved are tolerable. Subsequent to incidents such as Texas City (USA) and Buncefield (UK), there has been a greater emphasis on standards such as IEC 61508 and IEC 61511.
The standards cover not only the design requirements of the systems themselves but also the development of the Safety Requirements Specification in terms of the Safety Instrumented Functions to be performed and the Safety Integrity Levels of those Safety Instrumented Functions.
The management of functional safety and the competence of those involved in any Safety Lifecycle activity are also specified in the standards.
Course Learning Objectives
By the end of this course, participants should have an understanding of:
- Management of functional safety and specifying competence and competence assessment;- Functional safety and the role of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511 in achieving functional safety
- The concept of risk reduction, risk reduction parameters and the concept of a target and a tolerable risk
- The concept of a safety instrumented function with respect to its functionality
- The concept of a safety instrumented function with respect to its safety integrity
- The role of a Safety instrument System, other engineered measures and risk parameters in achieving a tolerable risk
- Safety Integrity and Safety Integrity Level (SIL)
- SIL determination concepts and methods
- Modes of operation and associated Target Failures Measures
- Hardware Safety Integrity, Systematic Safety Integrity & Systematic Capability
- Hardware Fault Tolerance and Safe Failure Fraction
- Procurement of element/devices in accordance with IEC 61508
- Functional Safety Assessment and Certification
- Design essentials for IEC 61508
- Design essentials for IEC 61511
- Functional Safety Assessment for IEC 61508
- Functional Safety Assessment for IEC 61511
Full Course Outline is available here
Who will benefit
The course is aimed at those who have responsibilities within the scope of IEC 61508 & IEC 61511.
- Systems integrators of Safety Instrumented Systems being designed to meet the requirements of IEC 61511
- Control and instrumentation engineers, chemical engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers who have responsibility for HAZOPs and SIL determination exercises, specification, design, operation and maintenance of plants employing Safety Instrumented Systems
- End users’ with responsibility for the operation and maintenance phase of the safety lifecycle who wish to have a better understanding of the design and systems integration process so they are able to make informed decisions that have an impact to the operation of the facilities (e.g. implications on future maintainability of the safety instrumented systems)
Pre-requisites for “FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland)” Certificate
The following requirements have to be met, to participate in a training of the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Training Program and to get the FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) certificate:
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of functional safety
- University degree (Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering)
- Equivalent engineer level responsibilities status certified by employer
Course Duration & Examination
The course consists of three days of classroom tuition and practical guidance, mixed with practical exercises based on real life examples. Day four consists of a Two-Part examination where:
- Part 1 of the examination comprises a number of Multiple-Choice questions (where only one answer is correct) and Multiple-Response questions (where, at most only two correct answers are possible)
- The scoring for the Multiple Choice is one mark for a correct answer and no marks for an incorrect answer
- The scoring for the Multiple-Response questions is one mark for a correct answer and two marks are available for the two possible correct answers
- Part 2 = 10 multiple-part questions. Three marks per question are available for a correct answer
Please allow till 18:00 on Friday to complete the exam.
Course Approval Criteria
The pass mark for the examination is 75%.
The course will be undertaken in English.
(for those who did not pass the examination)
- Within one year after a failed examination, applicants may sign up once for another examination, free of charge. The re-sit of the examination will need to be on one of our other course dates.
- If applicants sign up for attending the training course again, they have to pay full course price
The price per participant is from GBP £1,990 + VAT depending on location.
This price includes:
- Course material
- Registration fees
- FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) certificate if the participant has successfully passed the examination and requirements relating to other course requirements (e.g. experience etc.) have been met
This course can be completed without taking the examination held on day 4. Participants will receive a certificate of attendance, but not a FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) certificate. The price per participant is from GBP £1,650 + VAT depending on location.
Note: The course must be retaken in full to sit the exam.
Second renewal (as detailed in section below) is priced from GBP £2,140 + VAT depending on location.
Course evaluation will be via a ‘MS Forms’ email survey.
Certificate Renewals (5 & 10 years)
The TÜV Rheinland (FS Engineer) certificate can be extended following the successful completion of the first course. The first renewal (5 years) requires submission of evidence direct to TÜV Rheinland and the appropriate fee to renew for a further 5 years (If people wish to sit the course again then we will welcome you on to one of our courses for the appropriate course fees). The second renewal requires the candidate to take a course to refresh the knowledge of the participant. If you are booking for this renewal then please advise us by selecting the option, a different pre-course form is required to be submitted for attendees in this situation. If you require further information, then please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re offering a range of courses, including in-person and online courses in our virtual classroom, so please book and reserve your place.
20/03/2023 - 24/03/2023
9:00 to 17:00 GMT
5 Exchange Quay
09/05/2023 - 15/05/2023
9:00 to 17:00 BST
03/07/2023 - 07/07/2023
9:00 to 17:00 BST
|The Catch Center|
Redwood Park Estate
North East Lincolnshire
11/09/2023 - 18/09/2023
9:00 to 17:00 BST
20/11/2023 - 24/11/2023
9:00 to 17:00 GMT
2nd Floor Exchequer Court, 33 St Mary Axe
Please contact us to discuss if you’d like any further information: