Introduction to SIL Determination – 1 Day Training Course
Introduction to SIL Determination Course Overview
The Introduction to SIL Determination Course provides an introduction to the fundamentals of a SIL Determination study in context of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511.
As part of the requirements to meet international standards IEC 61508 and IEC 61511, a Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Determination study is essential to determine the required risk reduction target expressed as a Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Target for a Safety Instrumented System (SIS). This one day course is intended to provide an introduction to the fundamentals of a SIL Determination study in the context of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511.
Course Learning Objectives
By the end of this course, participants should have an appreciation of:
- The concept of SIL Determination in the context of the requirements of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511
- The concept of risk reduction, risk reduction parameters and the concept of a tolerable risk
- The concept of a Safety Instrumented Function with respect to its functionality and its performance
- The role of a Safety Instrument System, other engineered measures and risk parameters in achieving a tolerable risk
- Safety Integrity and Safety Integrity Level (SIL)
- SIL determination concepts and methods
- Modes of operation and associated Target Failures Measures
- Application of the Risk Graph Method for determining SIL requirements
- Fundamentals of the Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) methodology
- Key points when preparing for a SIL Determination workshop
- Use and application of the software package ProSET’s SIL Comp Module to conduct and record a SIL Determination study
- Demonstration of the As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) principle using Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA)
Qualifications, Skills, Competence gained
- Certificate setting out the key topics covered in the course.
- Knowledge of key concepts that underpin SIL Determination studies.
- Understand the requirements for SIL determination studies in the context of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511 standards.
- Tools to conduct an effective and efficient SIL determination study.
- SIL Determination Workshops with real examples to demonstrate an understanding of the SIL Determination process.
Who will benefit
The course is aimed at those who have responsibilities within the scope of IEC 61511. In particular:
- Plant managers of process plants who have responsibility for the management of functional safety involving Safety Instrumented Systems.
- Control and instrumentation engineers, chemical engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers who have a responsibility or are expected to participate in SIL Determination exercises, specification, design, operation and maintenance of plants employing Safety Instrumented Systems.
- Systems integrators of Safety Instrumented Systems being designed to meet the requirements of IEC 61511.
Course evaluation will be via feedback form.
|There are currently no events scheduled|
Please contact us to discuss if you’d like any further information: